Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Acid dye yarn

Give yourself plenty of Time to prepare for dying roving ,fabric ,or yarn .the yarn I'm dying here is coopworth,and Romney, Gather your supplies.  I have dish soap containers, it's what I had on hand. I live out the sticks, like really far out .....a hour to walmart far. Anyway you have to soak your yarn in a  dish soap /vinegar bath. I let mine sit overnight.

Ok the next day, squeeze the water from the skeins/roving. It stinks !!
Next lay your supply's out on plastic wrap, itprotects the workspace and helps you to wrap it up but I'll get to that in a bit. Never mind my grungy workstation.
now to the fun part. Paint your roving/yarn. Don't soak it, just wet it enough that it goes through all the layers.
Now put this in a microwave safe bowl. Wrap completely in the plastic wrap, microwave for 5 minutes. If the dye isn't all exhausted don't freak out. wrap it up again toss it in for 3 minutes more.
Wait until it's cooled. rinse with cool water until it runs clear, put inside of a salad spinner and spin out excess water. Hang to dry and voila! Pretty handpainted yarn!!! 
Pretty right!

No comments:

Post a Comment